The beginnings of a Presbyterian presence in the village of Hopewell can be traced to the Pennington Presbyterian Church's establishment of a Sabbath School in 1857. The idea for an actual Presbyterian Church is first documented in 1873, the year that the railroad came to town. In 1876, detailed planning began, and in 1877 the Presbyterian Chapel was built on a lot on the south side of Broad Street, opposite the present church. The congregation was formally organized in December of 1877 with 35 members.
By the early 1900s, plans were already afoot to build a larger sanctuary on the "triangle" between Louellen Street and Broad Street. After the purchase of the property, building of the present sanctuary building was commenced in 1914 and completed early the following year.