"Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also created the worlds. (Hebrews 1:1-2)
As Presbyterians, we believe that there is one Church of Jesus Christ that gathers in many congregations and worships in various ways. Therefore Hopewell Presbyterian Church is one part of the "Church Universal." We are connected to other Presbyterians through the Presbytery of New Brunswick. We are connected to our Baptist, Catholic and Methodist sister churches in in Hopewell Borough through the Hopewell Council of Churches.
Hopewell Presbyterian Church is itself a mission church. In the 1870s, Presbyterians from our neighboring community of Pennington reached out to start a Sunday school and a chapel here. (The cornerstone of the first chapel was laid April 17, 1877.) By the early 1900s, the population of Hopewell had grown to 1,400 people and a new Presbyterian Church was built in 1914 across the street from the original chapel to help serve its growing congregation. That church, which now includes several additions made along the way, remains a cornerstone of faith at the intersection of Routes 518 and West Broad Street for hundreds of members of the present-day Hopewell Valley community.